Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Homeostasis

In class we talked about subsystems theory and how all the systems in the family work together. I liked when we talked about positive and negative feedback, and how with just one look someone can know if they have done something wrong. With me it was my mom who would give the look. Just with that one look, we knew we were in big trouble. With my dad, he would always yell at us, but we could tell when he was getting mad enough to yell. None of us liked to be yelled at, so we tried harder to please dad than mom.
As for homeostasis, it depended on the person whether they would give you a look that told you you were doing something wrong, or there would be a lot of yelling. Usually it was just a look. For me if someone was doing something wrong or bad I would just give a look, and they knew to back off or get back in the norm. For a while when my brother left the church it seemed like our family was disconnected, and not in sync. He kind of made the homeostasis mechanism over heat, and it was not a good feeling. We all like to be functioning properly, and the way to do that is to not let things change to much. However the family and individuals will adapt to the changes, and pretty soon everything will be back to normal.
I am sure the rules to our family were the same for a lot of other families. However as I am getting ready to get married, I see a lot of different behaviors in my boyfriend than I do in how I was raised. His family does things differently than my family did. For example, my mom would always make us turn the TV off when we ate dinner, his family will keep it on and mute it while they eat. It was a little different at first but I got used to it. I think it will be hard to mesh our different upbringings together, but we are already working on it so it will get better. We have already discussed some different things we want in our family, I think it will work well it will just take work, as does everything in life.  

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it funny how similar we can be to each other, and yet have all of these minute differences? This topic definitely made me reflect on my own 'rules', too.

    ReplyDelete